Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Vanderpool Days

Our Family's Daily Journey from Kentucky to Rwanda

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Take a number....

It's very hard to answer the questions of very well-meaning people who ask things like "so, when do you get your baby?" I know they are being kind and know I want to, need to talk about it sometimes, but most don't understand when you say, "I have no idea." Rwanda has seen very little movement in the processing of adoptions this year. In fact, I have heard there have been no referrals at all in 2010, but this may not be entirely accurate, it's hard to get fast facts.

August was a hard month for all of the families adopting from Rwanda, as news spread that Rwanda was suspending all new applications for an unknown amount of time. A panic ensued, causing a rush of paperwork through the Rwanda embassy in order for families to make it DTR (dossier to Rwanda) by the new deadline of August 31. I want to thank everyone who prayed us through this time. I truly felt God's peace, that only He could have given. Our dossier made it in time and we have received word that it is in fact at the Ministry, somewhere near the end of the line.

Just how long is the line? Well, we have heard from several families in our agency group that have been DTR for months, that the Ministry has begun to hand out numbers to the people in line. They have also received word that the woman, and yes that was singular, who processes the paperwork, has spent more time on them lately. Adoption paperwork is only about 3% of her job. This news is great, that progress of some type is being made.

As for us, we were DTR September 1. Our paperwork got to the Ministry Sept 6. The people we know who were DTR in February are #46. We have NO idea when we will receive a number or what that number will be. I have heard maybe 120 or more dossiers are ahead of us.
But you know what? GOD IS IN CONTROL. HIS timing is perfect. I believe He has a child in Rwanda meant to be a part of our family and HE will bring about His plan.
In the mean time, keep asking, I do love to talk about it, and maybe soon I'll have an answer, "we're number--- in line!"

3 comments:

  1. I tell everyone we will be '100 and something' in line. Our lawyer is confident that referrals are going to come fast and thick soon, so hopefully this is true. There were a few referrals in the Spring, but none since then. I wonder if the referrals are made strictly in order though, because in the past agencies have had 'travel groups' which makes you think that they do them in batches for the agencies. I don't know. My mind is always dissecting every little thing:)I can't wait to see all the referrals start again!!! It is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you are officially DTR. I do know that there have been 2 referrals/travel since May of this year. In the beginning of June we were 64. Hope to hear your number soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your dossier made it in time! i've been checking up on families ever since I heard the news (a couple in our church was about 2 weeks away from finishing their dossier...very hard time for them). I must say, that after being there and seeing the 150 orphans running around Home of Hope, I am overwhelmed that there are almost that many families waiting to adopt them! How amazing that MOST of the children I saw will have a home in the days to come! I can't wait to tell THIS TO my 8 year old bio-soN, who was there and left the orphanage in tears saying, "mom, why can't we take more home with us?!" Rejoicing at your victory and praying for your wait....The Sneads

    ReplyDelete